How to Monitor Your MyListing Website Uptime and Performance
Building Better MyListing Websites. One Guide at a Time.
As MyListing website owners we know how finicky things can be, whether there is an issue with WordPress, an issue with plugins (WooCommerce, Elementor, etc.), and sometimes there can even be random issues with the MyListing theme itself.
Your website’s underlying infrastructure is no different, as it too relies on software, but you also have to factor in that hardware sometimes fails, and that humans managing that hardware/software can make mistakes.
Many website owners do not actively monitor their website’s uptime and by the time they realize their site is down, they have not only lost potential sales, but they may have also hurt their brand.
CleanTalk Uptime Monitoring Service
If you are already using the CleanTalk plugin for protecting your MyListing website from SPAM, then it may make sense to also do your website monitoring with the same solution.
Also, if you are a MyListing Club member you can take advantage of our CleanTalk partnership deal to get FREE Website Uptime Monitoring.
If you are not going to use CleanTalk, we would recommend jumping down to the Uptime Robot section of this guide.
How It Works
CleanTalk checks the availability of your website and checks the performance (load time) of your website at the same time from 3 points located in the US West (Oregon), US East (Northern Virginia), Europe (Frankfurt).
Checks are made from each point once per minute, allowing you to immediately know when problems occur, so they can be fixed faster.
Data older than 7 days are aggregated, showing the dynamics of the average indicators for each hour, and while this data is available for 540 days, you can choose the length of the tracking period of the dynamics of your website (monthly, quarterly, bi-annually, annually, etc.).
Unless a specific setting is mentioned, we recommend leaving them at the default values.
- Browse to the Website Uptime Monitoring area of your CleanTalk account.
- Click the ‘Add Monitor’ button.
- Website URLs > Enter the full URLs for each site you wish to monitor. (Note: Be sure you are entitled to monitor the number of URLs you are entering. Also, be sure that each URL is able to have the same monitoring settings. If you need different settings for each URL, add a separate monitor for each.).
- Checkpoints to monitor the URL > From the dropdown, choose the desired locations. (Note: See the following section for more information.).
- Click the ‘Add’ button.
When it comes to choosing which checkpoint(s) and how many, that is determined by the particular website’s audience.
- Local Market: If your MyListing website focuses on a local market, you would only need to choose the checkpoint location closest to that market.
- Country: If your website serves an entire country, like the United States, for example, you would want to add a checkpoint from the East Coast and the West Coast.
- Countries: If your website serves multiple countries, like the United States and Europe, for example, you would want to include checkpoints for the East Coast (US), West Coast (US), and Frankfurt (Europe).
- Global: If your website serves a global audience, you can choose to include every checkpoint available or only the checkpoints you deem critical to your operations.
Uptime Robot offers a generous, FREE pricing tier that typically gives you all you ever need, and setting up their online service is super simple.
One reason you might decide to upgrade to their paid (Pro) plan at some point is if you have a critical website and you need to know the minute it goes offline, rather than the 5-minute checks that are included in the FREE plan.
- Sign up. (Note: Sign up with an email address that you are comfortable receiving alerts to.).
- Click the ‘Add New Monitor’ button.
- Monitor Type > HTTPS.
- Friendly Name > Enter the name of your website.
- URL > Enter your domain name.
- On the right-hand side, check the box to confirm the email address that will receive the alerts.
- Click the ‘Create Monitor’ button.
MyListing Website Care
While this topic is important enough to warrant a guide from us, some MyListing website owners are not available to respond immediately if their website goes offline for some reason.
As part of our MyListing Website Care plans, we add client websites to our Uptime Robot account, which allows us to get notified and work on behalf of the client to get their site back online as soon as possible.
For our own MyListing websites, we always use the CleanTalk solution.