MyListing Listing Base
Since we are using Permalink Manager Pro to set up our permalinks, the MyListing settings under WordPress > Settings > Permalinks > Listing Base can be ignored.
Whatever you have set for your Listing Base will have no impact on the custom permalinks you build with this guide.
Permalink Manager Pro
For these instructions, we are going to use a scenario where our directory is for Local Businesses in a particular city, which in this case happens to be Charlotte, North Carolina.
We will be demonstrating how we did the custom permalinks for our MyCity Charlotte website (Starter Site 3).
- Install and activate the Permalinks Manager Pro plugin.
- Go to WordPress > Tools > Permalink Manager > Settings.
- Auto-update Permalinks > Enabled.
Here is where we will tell Permalink Manager Pro what our default Listing Base (i.e. permalink/URL structure) should be for all Listings.
This can easily be adjusted to fit your particular directory, but what we are showing here is how to recreate the structure shown below.
/ state / city / neighborhood / listing-type / category / listing-name /
- Go to WordPress > Tools > Permalink Manager > Permastructures.
- Under Post Types > Listings, append the following to the Listing Base, by entering it into the box.
If your directory has been around for any length of time, you no doubt have Listings.
Rather than manually edit each one to apply the new permalink structure, we can use the Regenerate tool to automatically go through all Listings and apply the structure for us.
Important: Create a backup of your website, before doing any work of this nature.
- Go to WordPress > Tools > Permalink Manager > Tools > Regenerate/Reset.
- Mode > Regenerate Custom Permalinks.
- Content Type > Post Types.
- Post Types > Deselect all except ‘Listings’.
- Post Status > Select All.
- Click the Regenerate button.
At this point, all of your Listings should have the custom Listing Base applied.
The developer of this plugin is extremely responsive and we like to think we are as well, so if there is anything you need or would like to see written up further here, please don’t hesitate to reach out.